Sunday 24 May 2015

Cancelled Trip

I had intended to take the early morning train back up to Douliu today and to then undertake the long drive north through Changhua county to Taichung city. My preparations last night were interrupted when a friend called me to ask for help in looking for his puppy Daschund whom he had lost in the park. I hurried over and joined in the search, which at one point, led me across the main road to check out a couple of vendor stands on the other side in the guess that he had been attracted by the smell of cooking food. As I rolled up to park on the siding, a fight occurred a few yards in front of me outside a neighbouring KTV place. A young man roughly about my age knocked over two or three other men, one after the other, including one man who looked to be in his late 50s and whose face was streaming in blood. It all happened very quickly, but at one point I thought I might have to intervene when the young man was handed a pair of hatchets by another old man with which to finish the job. Fortunately, the younger man did not use them and allowed the bleeding man to limp away up the road. The police arrived shortly afterward followed by an ambulance. It is not the first time I have seen fights occur at that place, and it is not the first time the police have been called over there.

I eventually found the dog in a nearby restaurant, waiting to be picked up.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that the interruption meant I stayed up too late last night and could not rouse myself early enough this morning to make the first train. In some ways this might be just as well because the rain which began on Wednesday evening earlier this week has continued since then, pausing only occassionally, and has been forecasted to continue throughout next week. It will do the reservoirs and aquifers a world of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.