Sunday 29 May 2016

Sunday At Namaxia

This afternoon I drove out to Namaxia to answer the question as to whether a new weir would soon be under construction to serve a reformed trans-basin diversion channel for Tseng-wen reservoir. The answer seems to be yes, although the work is now in its' earliest stages and will not be complete for some time to come. In addition, I found that the approach road to the eastern entrance of the western tunnel turns sharply right uphill into farmer's property a short distance before it would have otherwise reached the tunnel. Although frustrating, that little road was nevertheless an entertaining and dangerous drive, being occasionally peppered by fallen rocks.

My favourite shot of the day: a wide angle panorama looking back northward and upstream along the way I had came.
Looking downstream at the initial work to reshape the river bed in order to divert water into the tunnel.
Looking upstream from the bridge: provincial highway 21 continues further north, but I have yet to drive beyond this point.
The end of the road, a short distance from my destination.
Looking back upstream toward that distant peak lit from above through a gap in the clouds.
Cumulus cloud formations over one of Namaxia's two little villages beside this stretch of the river.
This seems to be the beginning of what will become a levee to prevent future flooding in the village.
Looking back toward the western shoreline where I had been driving beneath the trees some ten minutes earlier.
Back at the abandoned farmhouse above Nanhua reservoir I found that although the white puppies that had been here previously were now gone, there were still two striped Taiwanese hunting dogs that had seemingly been left to starve. I remember the older of the two from my previous visit. She was more nervous this time and was suffering from a limp. The younger dog was also nervous but far more eager to approach and bark at me once she saw that I was going to feed them both. They got four packs of beef jerky each, which is more than I usually give out. In the whole time that I stopped to feed them - perhaps fifteen to twenty minutes - not a single other driver stopped to follow my example. This is Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.