Friday 20 September 2013

"Super Typhoon"


Typhoon Usagi approaching the waters between the Phillipines to the south and Taiwan to the north. It's been a few years since we've been hit by a "super" typhoon, but size and windspeed are less important than the speed at which it passes by and the amount of rainfall it brings; basically, if it passes by us quickly, then hopefully the worst we'll see is a few uprooted trees, overturned cars and torn off corrugated rooftops. If instead it lingers over Taiwan for a few days, then things will be much worse.

At the moment there is no sign of it outside. Right now I'm going to take a shower and hop on the bicycle for a little ride down to the HSR station and back. I had wanted to ride down to Kaohsiung and drink beer, but I don't fancy riding a bicycle for the whole 50K back to Tainan tommorow morning with that thing tearing up trees and advertising hoardings along the highway.

(Saturday morning...)

After I reached the HSR last night I kept going all the way down to Agongdian reservoir, but using little old farmers' roads and village roads through Alian district. I hadn't been that way before - it knocks a good 5K off compared to using highway 19 through Guanmiao. Once I reached the reservoir I decided to head back because I still had a pair of jeans hanging out to dry, but I needn't have worried because I'm writing this now at 11.35am and there's not a stir outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.