Saturday 4 February 2012

Limelight


It was approaching three in the afternoon and the sun was blaring out a white glare everywhere to the west, so, for the want of filters, I set the shutter speed to somewhere over 1/1000, dropped the F-stop and switched the white balance up to blue-green. The best I could do: the dam for Wushantou reservoir (烏山頭水庫) is just about visible as a thin, dark, horizontal strip in the centre of the image at the horizon.

I drove out there this afternoon to check out the back end of the reservoir, and then off to have a look at Baihe Reservoir (白河水庫) at the north end of the county. There is a little village at the back end of Wushantou which is visible in the distance from the dam itself. It's called "Wangyegong", a very Hoklo-sounding name, and I drove in there on the big bike - which, when I saw the state of the little backroads out there, I realized was something of a mistake. One of the locals kindly ferried me up and down the steep, narrow, knackered little farm roads on the back of a scooter so I could take pictures. What I need to do at some point is go back early in the morning at or before sunrise and try out a few other vantage points to the north and south.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.