Wednesday 4 November 2015

Milvus Migrans Numbers?

A story in the Taipei Times about a man who gave up his job to study Black Kites contains the claim that there are only about three hundred of the birds left in Taiwan. Is that number really accurate? I've been watching and photographing these birds at Tseng-wen reservoir, where perhaps five or six of them live, for the past four years. I've also seen them at Wushantou reservoir and Nanhua reservoir and I was long under the impression that they were as common in Taiwan as they are in neighbouring countries.

That being said, one thing I have noticed on my travels is that I see far fewer birds of prey in central and northern Taiwan than down here in southern Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.