Saturday 18 January 2014

An Encounter With An Overzealous Young Cop, Plus Entourage

Earlier tonight I was pulled over by a squad car full of armed cops (four of them) for not wearing a helmet whilst ferrying the first two dogs to the park on the little scooter.

This doesn't normally happen. Normally, the cops ignore me. Normally (i.e. for the past year), I would have driven a distance and a route substantially longer and more circuitous (and probably therefore more dangerous) than the one I was driving tonight. The road I was driving tonight was straight, with one left turn at a major intersection with a cumulative driving time of less than two minutes.

One of the cops, seemingly a similar age to myself, decided to raise his voice and talk down to me as if I were a child. He even threatened to have my dogs removed from my care were he to catch me driving without a helmet again.

....

Fury. I just wanted to have at him right there. I find it extraordinarily difficult to articulate myself well in Mandarin when I am angry; it is even difficult enough as it is in English. In the end they let me go without a fine, but what he took from me in momentary humiliation is worth far more than the fine.

I was left with a seething, bitter resentment and the desire to boot his Nazi arse all over the shop for having the temerity to make such a serious and personalized threat to me over such a trivial misdemeanor as not wearing a helmet for the 1 min 30 seconds it takes me to reach the park.

This will not go unanswered; I have already decided what I am going to do, and am just waiting for a friend to get back to me. Will post details here after I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.