Monday 22 February 2010

Taipei Trip 1st Post

Well our trip to Taipei was something of a let down, principally because of the awful weather and traffic; it rained all day thursday and friday with a bit of drizzle on saturday, and the traffic, especially to and from Keelung, was just murder. My main objection to the rain was that it prevented me from using the camera more outside. When inside buildings we wanted to visit (e.g. the San Domingo Fort in Tamsui and Chiang Kai Shek's "Camp David" in Yan Ming Mountain) there were prohibitions on photography - which I don't understand given that such buildings are managed on behalf of the public. I did get some pictures however, but due to the general crapness of the blogger-webkit, I'll have to put up several posts to include pictures and my commentary on them.

Another problem was our limited time and the necessity of sharing it; I didn't get to see the old Forts in Keelung for example and I would also have liked much more time in Tamsui. The girlfriend wasn't best pleased with the fog up in Yan Ming Mountain or with the amount of time it took to get up into the gold mine mountains of Keelung. There were simply far too many interesting things to see and photograph and we simply didn't have enough time. She'll be off to Taipei again this weekend with her friends however - whereas I'll be staying in Tainan to work so I'll have to plan my own little trip to Taipei sometime in the summer perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is now in place, as of April 2012. Rules:

1) Be aware that your right to say what you want is circumscribed by my right of ownership here.

2) Make your comments relevant to the post to which they are attached.

3) Be careful what you presume: always be prepared to evince your point with logic and/or facts.

4) Do not transgress Blogger's rules regarding content, i.e. do not express hatred for other people on account of their ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.

5) Remember that only the best are prepared to concede, and only the worst are prepared to smear.